Easy Egg Drop Soup. You can add the cornstarch to help keep the eggs in larger lumps in the soup. Remove pan from heat once broth is boiling. The more you stir the smaller the egg 'drops' will be.
Proceed with the rest of the directions. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil over medium heat. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into broth. You can cook Easy Egg Drop Soup using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Easy Egg Drop Soup
- You need 4 cups of unsalted stock (Chicken, pork, veg or any combo thereof is fine. Beef would taste ok, but if you used a roasted bone stock, you might get a darker than desired broth.).
- You need 4 cups of water.
- Prepare 1 of medium carrot, sliced into 1/4" thick slices.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves, crushed.
- You need 2.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil (optional).
- Prepare 1.5-3 Tablespoons of corn or potato starch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water (this is called a slurry).
- Prepare 2-3 of eggs, thoroughly whisked.
- You need of finely chopped green onion for garnish.
- You need to taste of black pepper.
This Egg Drop Soup is one of the easiest Chinese soups you can make in your own kitchen from scratch. Easy Asian dishes are my favorite! How to Make Egg Drop Soup. Like I said, this recipe is so simple and can easily be made at home.
Easy Egg Drop Soup instructions
- Put stock, water, carrot and garlic into a pot or large saucepan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes or so, covered, over medium high heat..
- Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for another 10 minutes or so to extract flavor from the aromatics – sweet from the carrot, savory from the garlic..
- Skim out the carrot and garlic, turn the heat back up to medium high, and stir in salt, toasted sesame oil, and starch slurry. Bring the soup back up to a boil for 2 minutes (bringing it to a boil activates the starch so it thickens the soup more effectively)..
- Turn the heat off and give the soup a few good stirs to let it cool just a little bit. Then stir again to create a gentle whirpool, pour in your whisked eggs, and let the gentle heat do its magic to cook the eggs. Stir gently again once or twice to distribute the eggs. You want the soup at a temperature where the egg just sets, which is what gives it that silky texture. If the egg overcooks, then it takes on a chewier more scrambled texture, but the starch does help to prevent overcooking..
- Ladle into a bowl and garnish with chopped green onion and black pepper to taste. (White pepper is often used for this soup, but if you don't have white pepper, like I don't have white pepper, then black pepper it is! 🙂 ) Enjoy!.
I made this today and it's perfect! Thanks for the recipe, I have been looking for the perfect egg drop soup recipe forever, and now I'm satisfied. Then a delicious batch of egg drop soup can simmering on the stove and ready to be served in no time. Stir the salt, ginger and chives into the saucepan, and bring to a rolling boil. An easy recipe for a keto egg drop soup made without cornstarch.